On September 6, 2017 the British Virgin Islands were hit by Hurricane Irma, a Category 5 storm that destroyed the territory beyond recognition and left tens of thousands without shelter.
With wind speeds clocked in excess of 200 mph, Irma went down in history as the most powerful Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.
Irma made landfall on Barbuda first, and left the island nothing but rubble. Afterward, the Governor declared the island uninhabitable and evacuated all 1600 residents.
As the hurricane enveloped the BVI, the massive eye spanned the entire lush archipelago and the eye wall hit the islands with full force, stripping every piece of foliage from the trees, tossing cars like matchbox toys into impossible places, exploding homes across hillsides, and ripping 60 ton vessels from their moorings and hurling them across Road Town as if they were a discus.
When all was said and done, 90% of homes were destroyed or damaged.
85% of all utility infrastructure was destroyed or damaged.
Roads were washed out and villages cut off.
Communications towers were knocked out.
Water was contaminated.
Food was scarce.
People lost everything.
One Love BVI's core purpose is to ensure that the people of the British Virgin Islands enjoy a bright and sustainable future with no family, child, community, or small business left behind.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standard of integrity: we do what we say we are going to do.
- We are fully transparent in all our activities.
- We empower individual initiative.
- We are focused on one cause: the British Virgin Islands.
- In every deliberation we must consider both environmental and economic sustainability.
One Love BVI is committed to the long term recovery and sustainable rebuild of the British Virgin Islands after the devastation caused by hurricanes Irma and Maria. Our goals not only include the immediate stabilization of life for the people living there, they reach beyond to support and facilitate initiatives that will ensure the enduring health and welfare of the islands' people, animals, economy, and environment for generations to come. We envision a future where all of these not only survive, but thrive.
We will achieve these goals in the following ways:
By supporting home owners, businesses, and community organizations in their efforts to rebuild from the immediate devastation and move forward by providing access to:
- pro bono professional expertise in a wide range of relevant technical disciplines
- discounted purchase rates for supplies, materials, tools, and equipment needed for both the immediate rehabilitation and longer term recovery phases
- consolidated, coordinated, and discounted shipping and logistics services
- corporate donations of supplies, materials, tools, and equipment
- supporting professional organizations outside the BVI
- skilled, professional volunteers
By making resources available to private and public organizations that focus on environmental sustainability in areas including:
- disaster mitigation, preparedness, and recovery
- inland and marine ecosystems
- natural resources
- renewable energy
- and more
By recruiting, screening, training, and preparing skilled, qualified, self-sufficient volunteers ready for deployment in support of:
- medical facilities
- community organizations
- small businesses
- child care
- clean up
- marine salvage
- project managment
- renewable energy
- national parks
- public relations
- social work
By raising funds to support both internal programs and external initiatives that reflect the goals and core values of One Love BVI.